Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 5 -6 small servings
- 1 pound ripe Vietnamese bananas or plantains
- 4 ounces sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons small tapioca balls
- 4 pandan leaves or a few drops of pandan flavoring if leaves aren't available
- 1/2 can coconut creme Savoy brand
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts lightly crushed
- 2 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds lightly crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Soak the tapioca balls in warm water for about 20 minutes, then drain.
Peel and cut bananas then marinate it in 4oz sugar to sweeten them. Make sure all sides of the bananas are covered in sugar, then cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 2 days. The longer you can marinate, the better.
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil with 2 knots of pandan leaves. Turn the heat to medium, and simmer for about 20 minutes to extract the pandan flavor.
Add the remaining ingredients into the pot (banana, coconut creme, tapioca, salt), simmer on medium for about 15-20 minutes more until bananas reach desired softness.
Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle a bit on top of each individual serving