Bánh Xèo (Vietnamese Sizzling Crepes)
Here's a time tested recipe from Mom herself! Nothing like the satisfying crunch of these sizzling crepes, wrapped in veggies and dipped in perfectly balanced fish sauce.
Servings: 12 crêpes
- 9 oz rice flour
- 3 oz all-purpose wheat flour
- 2-3 tsp turmeric
- 3.5 c water
- 1 can coconut cream (14 oz / 400 ml) if unavailable, use coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 sprig green onion ~6-7 leaves, chopped about 1-2 cm long
- 1 lb shrimp without heads sized 45/50 or 60/70
- 1.5 lb pork belly
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1-1.5 lb bean sprouts
- 1/2 c dry mung beans optional
- 1 head mustard greens caỉ xanh
- 1 bunch mint
- 1 bunch cilantro optional
- 1 bunch Vietnamese perilla tía tô, optional
Steam or soak mung beans in water until soft
Boil pork until cooked through. Slice thinly.
Wash bean sprouts and veggies
Making Bánh Xèo - Each crêpe takes about 5-7 minutes
On medium-high heat add 1-2 teaspoons of oil and some onions
Immediately add a few pieces of pork and shrimp. Sauté, lightly mixing until very lightly browned.
Pour in some batter and quickly tilt & rotate the pan so the batter is evenly spread. Add more batter if it wasn't enough to cover the pan.
Add some mung beans, bean sprouts, and cover with a lid for 2-3 minutes, or until bean sprouts are slightly cooked. The batter should also be slightly cooked and transparent around the edges.
Remove the lid, lower heat to medium and wait for the crêpe to become crisp. Fold in half, transfer to a plate and serve immediately.
Calories: 588kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Cholesterol: 136mg | Sodium: 580mg | Potassium: 452mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 93IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 3mg