Lu Rou Fan (Taiwanese Stewed Pork with Hard-Boiled Eggs)
- 4 shallots or substitute 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1.25 lb pork belly or shoulder
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce for color
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
- 1-2 inches of cinnamon stick
- 1.5-2 tbsp ginger sliced
- 4 shiitake mushrooms optional
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 stalk scallion finely chopped
Cut pork into small cubes. Chop shallots and mince garlic.
Saute pork until brown. Remove meat (leave fat in pan) and saute the shallot and garlic on medium-high heat until lightly browned. Remove from pan, then saute mushrooms.
Add everything back into the pan, including the soy sauce, rice vinegar, dark soy sauce, water and spices (star anise, 5 spice, cinnamon, and ginger). Simmer for about 30-60 minutes or until tender. Add the eggs during the last 10-15 minutes.
Garnish with chopped scallion
Calories: 392kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 231mg | Sodium: 762mg | Potassium: 501mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 232IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 2mg