Cá Kho Tộ Recipe - Vietnamese Caramelized & Braised Fish
This is a Vietnamese classic of caramelized, sweet and salty braised fish with a moutwatering sauce perfect with lots of white rice.
Servings: 2 people
- 1 lb catfish filets bone and skin optional
- salt to clean the fish
- 2 tbsp oil
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced
Seasoning & cooking liquid
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp fish sauce
- About 1/2 teaspoon thick soy sauce
- 1/2 c water
- 1/2 c coconut juice or replace water & coconut juice with 1 cup coconut soda
- 1 chile sliced (to taste, optional)
- freshly ground black pepper or add as a final topping when serving
- 1 green onion roughly chopped
- black pepper freshly ground
- 1 red chile sliced, optional
Generously salt fish and rinse under water to clean it. Set aside to dry.
Add oil to a pan and saute garlic over medium heat until lightly browned.
Layer onion on top, then the fish, evenly spaced.
Add the seasoning & cooking liquid (& optional chiles) and turn the heat to high until boiling. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning.
Bring it to a simmer for ~20 minutes. Adjust seasoning if needed.
Gently flip the filets of fish over and simmer for a final ~10 minutes with the lid partially covered.
Stand there to watch it the final ~10 minutes to prevent it from burning! During this time you can continually spoon the sauce over the fish.
Add green onion during last 2 minutes to wilt & top with sliced chiles, and some freshly ground black pepper.
Calories: 397kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 132mg | Sodium: 2393mg | Potassium: 1216mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 602IU | Vitamin C: 73mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 2mg