This is a simple garnish of scallion and oil for Vietnamese foods. It’s found on a lot of dishes such as bún chả giò, thịt nướng, bánh hỏi, bánh bèo, cơm tấm bì and many others. So it goes very well with grilled meats or rice noodle dishes.
Mở hành (litterally oil onion) is a good way to add a nice aroma and some richness to a dish. The vibrant green color creates a nice color contrast too.
Some people like to use only the green part of the onion, but I include the white portion too. I think it looks nicer, and it tastes good. No point in wasting it!
Vietnamese Scallion & Oil Garnish Recipe (Cách Làm Mỡ Hành)Print Pin
- 4 stalks scallion green onion
- 1/4 cup oil neutral one like vegetable, canola oil
- Wash and thinly slice scallions
- Heat oil over medium heat. After 30 seconds, test heat by dropping in one piece. If it sizzles, it's ready.
- Add all the sliced scallions, mix scallions in the pan for about 30 seconds or until softened.