Please take my word for it, that these Belgian waffles are the crispiest waffles I’ve ever had the pleasure of trying. Yes they look normal on the outside, but they are SO crispy that I almost feel they aren’t waffles. Just, trust.
My generous friend and her generous family are so kind to invite us into their home, and on one occasion they said they were making waffles. Yes, of course I’ll come over for crispy, carby, amazingly yeasty aromatic wafffles.
Little did I know they had a “family recipe” for these waffles that made them crispy af.
Secret ingredients for crispy waffles
FIZZY WATER and a higher than normal oil ratio are what stands out to me vs normal waffle recipes. Don’t use old bottles of fizzy water, we need maximu fizz for lift, and crisp.
Cook it as usual in your waffle iron. I use an older, discontinued version of this Oster waffle iron and it’s great for this and ‘normal’ waffle recipes. Look at how crispy those edges are!
Let it cook until the indicator light tells ya it’s done but peek and make sure it’s as brown as you like it.
Homemade whipped cream
This is dead simple. I don’t like the unncessary ingredients in the canned stuff, and making fresh whipped cream just tastes better.
Using a hand mixer, or manually with a whisk, beat cold heavy whipping cream slowly just until you get stiff peaks. Then fold in powdered or confectioner sugar to your liking. Keep it cold until serving!
top it with whatever ya like, but sides of berries taste amazing with whipped cream (and they look good too :)). I like just having the sweetness of the whipped cream, but you can work in maple syrup if you prefer.
If you want to try more crispy waffles, mochi-like waffles, or pizzelles, check out my recipe for Vietnamese pandan flavored pizzelles (banh kep), pandan waffles, vegan pandan waffles, or ube waffles.
And for me, no breakfast is complete without coffee. The aroma of waffles is amazing on its own but was made to be paired with a cuppa joe! Check out my guide for pour over coffee, Aeropress coffee, or espresso.
Super Crispy Belgian Waffles
- 2 c Bisquick pancake mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c neutral cooking oil (vegetable, grapeseed, etc.)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract optional
- 1 1/2 c club soda / carbonated water
- mixed berries
- whipped cream
- powdered sugar
- maple syrup
- Preheat waffle iron. There's no need to oil the iron since there's plenty of oil in the batter.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl only just before using the batter. Whisk or mix with a fork until most of the lumps are gone. Be gentle so you don't mix out all the carbonation.
- Add approximately 1/4 of this batter (1 cup) to the iron, or adjust as needed for your waffle iron. Cook according to your iron instructions, or until the light goes off. Check for desired level of browning. Serve immediately.